Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Vakamau!

I had the amazing opportunity to be in my friend Asenaca's wedding on Kia island last week. I had been to a Fijian wedding before, but this time it was way more memorable. Not only beacuse I got to wear the traditional masi cloth, but because a good friend was getting married. A whole bunch of us from my village piled into 3 boats to go to Kia island for 48 hours where we drank kava, swam in the ocean, danced and got very little sleep. We had so much fun that our boat must have sensed that we didn't want to return and decided to catch on fire. Never fear, my ever resourceful host father had it fixed and we were on our way only 3 hours later.
Besides the wedding, things are normal here. Still waiting for my footpath and UNDP money to come through. Both projects have had the "Funded" stamp of approval since July but we have yet to see any money enter our bank account. Pending a phone call later today, I could be starting with a 3-day waste management workshop on Sept 8-10. I haven't started planning so if we get the money today I will be uber busy until then, but then again we could not get the money and I will have another month of occupying myself with fishing, card games and village fun. So thus is life in Fiji...although I'm not technically busy yet the prospect of work is stressful. Time is flying by and nothing has started yet...things are looking like I might be here longer that I originally expected.

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

u sa yawa na i sulu. u two nice. kelly thats my niece, am from korotubu as well, but live in the uk now.

April 15, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home