Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bulamakau...Fijian for cow and one of my favorite words

A cow was killed this week for a funeral. As I watched it get carried piece-by-piece to be hung, I was expecting to renounce my omnivore ways and vow to never eat meat again. But, as they were sharpening the cane knives to cut up pieces to more manageable sizes, I really just wanted to eat a hamburger.

On a lighter note, here is a picture of a lovely orchid….

There, now that that brief story is over, I am writing to ask who, if any of you, are able and willing to make a donation to Korotubu’s footpath project. I am applying for funding through the Peace Corps Partnership where people from the US (or anywhere for that matter) can donate money to specific volunteer projects throughout the world. This can come in any amount, and I usually despise asking for money, but this really is for a good cause and I will personally ensure that your money is used to make people’s lives here a bit easier during the wet and muddy months of the year. If you are interested, I can add your name to the contact list and you will be contacted with the specifics of the project and information on how to donate. Please, let me know if I can include you on my list of donors. If you are unsure of the credibility of this project, I will let you know when my project is posted on the Peace Corps website for review and your further consideration. You can donate directly through that if you so choose. This is an opportunity for you or a group you’re involved with to start a relationship with a rural village in the Pacific and truly make a difference in people’s lives. Vinaka vakalevu. Thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home