Friday, March 28, 2008

Sorry for the delay in writing. I have good news though, my computer is fixed so now I can write entries at home and then take them to town to put on the internet! It is really quite remarkable, for once something worked out in my favor regarding electronics. Turns out it was my motherboard that “broke.” Usually these are so expensive to replace you might as well just get a new computer, but by chance I purchased a 3-year warranty for my computer, which expired 32 days after the fateful night my computer would no longer turn on. Also by chance there is an Apple certified technician in the capital, Suva, which would normally be a problem getting to as it is on another island, but luckily my friend was able to take it down for me the next week. It spent nearly three months in the hospital, but was remarkably fixed and ready to take home when I was in the capital for a conference.

After almost three months at site with no real break, I spent the last two weeks in Suva and then on Ovalau island. The purpose of the trip was to attend a youth conference with a youth counterpart from my village. This was a 3-day affair, but a couple of long weekends joined by a few days of work in Suva added up to two weeks away from site. The conference itself was great, hopefully my youth got as much out of it as I did. The best was getting ideas for projects that won’t take major funding. This is a problem here, people have such a handout mentality that any mention of a project leads to questions of how we are going to get money (and under the current coup leadership, money is even harder to come by).

e.g. I proposed to have a workshop to transfer mat weaving skills from aging women to younger girls, but was somewhat shot down because we “needed money”. I have since jumped that hurdle, as it doesn’t take any resources besides the naturally growing panadus plant and knowledge to complete this workshop.

Anyway, I hope to start working more with the youth group in my village now. This will include getting other volunteers up here to do some life skills, HIV/AIDS and business trainings.

I was in Suva (the “big” city) for St. Patty’s day, which was a lot of fun. A bunch of volunteers got together to go out at the local Irish pub for the celebration…where in the world is there NOT an Irish pub? I found a fantastic Krispy Kreme shirt to wear with green soccer socks at the second hand store. Another volunteer found a “Cat in the Hat” styled Heineken hat which was later sold at the bar for $100 to an enthusiastic patron which funded a round of Guinness for us all. This, coupled with my and another PCV’s victory in a hula-dancing contest (against a bunch of Polynesians which I am sure they were upset about), made out for a night to remember.

While in Suva I also went for a visit with my host village family (the place I lived at when I was in training). It was brief and only two of my brothers were there, but it was still nice. I also met up with a host sister (from my family in Korotubu) who lives in the capital, so now I have met all of my host-siblings. After about a week and a half in the greater Suva area, I went to Levuka on Ovalau island which was the original capital of Fiji. Two PCVs live there so I went to go visit them and see the island over the long Easter weekend. Although I can see how it would be hard to live there as a PCV (little work and no fresh produce), Levuka is a charming town. While there I kept saying how quaint it was. There is really no other way to explain it. I had a great time hanging out with the volunteers, meeting their friends and exploring a bit of the island. Of course I got my first head cold in Fiji when I wanted to go SCUBA diving the most, but oh well. I recommend visiting Ovalau if you ever make it out to Fiji, although plan your visit with a public holiday so the tuna processing plant is closed and your trip won’t be tainted by fish smells that would drive anyone crazy. Or so I’ve heard, I was there over Easter so I was spared.

Well that’s all for now. I will be starting the World Map Project next week and am still planning the Earth Day Celebration. Speaking of, go to WWF’s website to read about “Earth Hour”. It’s a worldwide event to turn off non-essential electric items for one hour and Fiji’s position on the 180-degree means we’re gonna be the first ones to participate!


Carla, Carron and me on the beach on Ovalau island on Good Friday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home