Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Set Tiko...all is good

So I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I came back to the village after a long weekend away and found out that the youth had planned a meeting to talk about the program for our Earth Day celebration. It made me proud. They have really taken the idea and made it into their own, which is the best way to do it. We are even going to make T-shirts. I'm anxiously awaiting the big day, I hope it is a success.
Another big thing while I was away was that the girls who usually come to my house in the mornings to do yoga asked the village headman if we could move to the community hall so more people could attend. I was scared to do this myself because it is so taboo and the girls would *gasp* have to wear shorts inside the village. But I was surprised to hear that even the old men who cluck their tongues in disapproval when females wear pants to town approved, two even want to try it out. So although I am edging towards the risque side (having a dance competition for Earth Day and asking girls to wear shorts to yoga), I feel like I am really a part of the community and am therefore able to make these requests. I might go too far with the sexual education workshop I am planning with another PCV in May, but I will do my best to not step on the elders' toes too much.
So it looks like I will be kept busy through June and this means I will finally have something to put on my trimester report. Don't worry all you US taxpayers, I am finally using your money to do some good. I will also have my first visitor then! Very exciting, it will finally give me an excuse to travel around and see some sights.

Here is my host father on a fishing trip. Kia island is in the background. I'll be going there next week for a school bazaar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home