Friday, June 6, 2008

Druadrua

I just got back from visiting another volunteer’s site on Druadrua Island. (If you want to see this island just watch “Survivor: Fiji” since this is where it was filmed…and they say it’s a deserted island!) The purpose of the visit was to see the composting toilets being built, but we got in some quality ocean time as well. I did some of the best snorkeling ever right off the island and when the cold currents forced me out of the water, I showered in a waterfall and then warmed up in the sun sitting on a white sandy beach contemplating life while sipping on a coconut. It was exactly what I thought I would be doing as a volunteer in Fiji. Well, it has only happened once so far, but it was well worth the wait.

The highlight of the trip was by far catching an octopus. We went out with a spear looking for octopus, not really expecting to find any since they are kings of disguise. I ended up spotting three, only because I wasn’t really looking, and after watching a Fijian lady spear and pull one out of a rock we decided to try it ourselves. Well, we were by far less graceful in the attack. I think the doomed octopus lost one or two legs thinking it could hide away in the rock. What the poor thing didn’t know was that two white girls were determined to show off to the villagers. I don’t know how long it took us, but by the time we got the half-dead octopus, sans ¼ of it’s appendages, out of the rock we had our fair share of battle wounds. In the courageous struggle (two humans against one rather small octopus) we got pretty cut up on the coral. It was all worth it when we dined on fresh “calamari” for dinner.

Almost as good as catching the octopus was the return to my own village. Rather than stay in town an extra night and hang out with other volunteers, I opted to go back home and see my family. There’s nothing quite like a return to the village after some time away. I don’t want to be too mushy, but seeing the kids and my family/friends makes me happy and I can tell that they are happy to see me.

Good news! Our proposal through the United Nations Development Program got approved! This is a yearlong project titled “Towards and Environmentally Sustainable Community” and it will include several projects. I will be in charge of the composting toilets, waste separation piggery and grey water wetlands. I am lucky to be involved in such a significant project. As for the footpath project, we need about $3,000 more dollars before we start. If you are interested in donating please contact me for information. Any contribution would be very much appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home